Flick was founded in 2018 by Nigel Eccles and Rob Jones who previously founded FanDuel (one of Scotland’s largest consumer companies which they grew to 500 employees and a user base of over 6 millions users).
Flick is looking to redefine the way consumers organise, chat and consume media together - hosting 100s of communities & groups of people gathered around shared interests, ideas and life experiences. Flick closed its initial $4m seed round in 2018, and is currently situated in CodeBase, one of Scotland's leading tech incubators located in the heart of Edinburgh.
We Focus on Culture First
As an experienced team that’s been through a number of startups, we want to develop a great working culture, where above all else it’s a fun place to work. We pride ourselves on doing amazing work and working hard, but also enjoying ourselves along the way.
Not only do we focus on learning with each release, we also focus on self-improvement, building on our past experiences and learning from our peers. We all bring unique views to the table and enjoy collaborating together to break new barriers.
How We Work
We're a small, close-knit team that moves quickly. We work in two week sprints with clear goals and metrics to aim towards across our native iOS and Android apps. We experiment towards success. But we get there as a team. It’s a highly collaborative effort, with everyone having a voice that’s heard. Our engineers are as comfortable having product vision discussions as they are diving into code.
Not only do our engineers work towards delivering features, they also work closely alongside our Designers and Product Owners to come up with ideas that help move us forward (we allocate engineering time to discovery as well as delivery and we make sure engineering is involved as early as possible in the discussions).
What We're Looking For
We’re looking to expand our small team of 8 people to 11 to help focus. That’s where you come in…
We’re looking for an experienced product designer to help us design and deliver a product that users love to interact with on a daily basis. We pride ourselves on building a great experience and working well as a team to deliver the best solution possible for our users. You'll be an integral part in helping shape our vision and bringing it to reality.
Being involved at such an early stage in a startup’s life cycle means that we’re looking for a versatile designer that enjoys wearing many hats. The ideal candidate will have experience designing across platforms (iOS, Android & Web), has conducted user trials, has worked closely with engineers on various teams and likes to help drive features from concept to completion.
You’ll be the second designer in our small team (team of 9) and you’ll be responsible for helping craft the vision and execution of an application that will be used daily.
- Go from mockups and ideas through to execution on iOS and Android (going from pencil sketches to delivering final assets)
- Design and craft features that form an elegant and delightful end-to-end experience
- Help translate research ideas into new products and features - Helping the team to break down problems into deliverable feature sets (MVP through to adding delight).
- Prototyping detailed interactions - a vital part of Flick will be a strong design execution on complicated user tasks and interactions
- Defining our visual & interactive design language across the application (this is a new green-field project that allows you to help design the application from scratch)
- Designing reusable UI components to help accelerate workflows for designers and engineers
- Solicit feedback from everyone in the team and our users in a cohesive and executable manner (with lots of user testing along the way)
- Help with design workshops, carding up user-stories and defining personas etc
- Spending a lot of time sketching and in Sketch :)
- Designing charming animations that help bring the application to life
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to clearly state the rationale behind your concepts
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced tech environment
- Excellent prototyping skills (Pencil sketches, Sketch, InVision, Principle, Framer etc)
- Ability to form fantastic working relationships with engineers and team members
- Experience with shipping consumer products across platforms (Web, android & iOS) - examples of your work is essential
- Seasoned experience working either in an agency or as an in-house product designer
- Ability to translate user requirements into elegant solutions that solves a need
- Excellent design practices - applying the correct technique for the problem at hand & experience with user testing, wire-framing and prototyping
- Ability to create delightful animated interactions where necessary and examples of designing fun interactions that engage users
- Passion for delivering an exceptional product and passion for your craft
Some of our employee benefits include:
- Remote working a few days a week
- Flexible work hours - we don’t focus on 9-5, you know when you work best
- The very best equipment and software (PC or Mac, monitor, accessories etc)
- Full holiday allowance (24 days + bank holidays)
- Highly competitive salary
- Equity in a new startup with a highly experienced team
- 5% pension contribution
- Professional and personal development - we have a healthy budget for training, conferences, online tutorials and anything else that helps you progress
You’ll also get:
- 10% time to play around with new concepts and new software
- Regular all-in hack days to experiment with new code and new ideas
- Product, Design and Engineering all in one place for easy collaboration
- A fun place to work! We work hard but we also enjoy ourselves
- No hierarchy or politics, just good work with passionate, smart people
- To work alongside the best designers and engineers in the industry