at Bright Ascension in Dundee or Edinburgh for £25k-£45k+
We are looking for a motivated and enthusiastic software engineer who has a strong focus on great UI design to join our team developing the next generation of spacecraft ground software and software tools.
As a key member of our team, you would be responsible for the design and development of our main user interfaces across our product range, from spacecraft ground software to spacecraft simulators and development tooling. While this is a frontend role, there is a strong focus on UI/UX design. You would be responsible for helping to identify user requirements, translating those into a UI design and implementing the UI in React along with another developer. In some cases you may be working with a designer to support the creation of graphical assets and in layout design.
We are targeting both web-based and desktop UIs and are currently using React. Provided you are interested in learning new technologies, experience in any front end frameworks would be considered. A working knowledge of Java as well as Python would be useful as these are also used in our backends and tooling.
Essential technical skills
We see experience with the following as essential to the job:
- experience with creating UI/UX design concepts and the UI/UX design process for creating user-centred, usable interfaces;
- front end development skills, ideally demonstrated in a commercial environment;
- development and debugging of high quality code and adherence to best coding practices; and
- experience with version control such as git or mercurial.
We’re especially looking for someone who:
- has a passion for usability and creating visual interfaces which improve workflow;
- enjoys problem solving in a range of programming languages with an interest in learning new languages and frameworks;
- works well both independently and in a team as part of a fast-paced technical environment;
- possesses strong verbal and written communication skills, both for internal and external, customer facing, interactions; and
- is interested in learning new skills and is open to new ideas and ways of working.
Desirable technical skills
We think that the following skills would definitely be valuable in this role:
- knowledge of, or exposure to, space systems in either a commercial or academic context;
- experience in planning and executing all stages of software engineering, from design to documentation according to a specified development process;
- experience with React;
- experience with gRPC; and
- experience with Electron.
WHAT WE CAN OFFER YOU
- A competitive salary in the range of £25k-£45k+ depending on experience, with regular reviews.
- A fantastic opportunity to join a growing, innovative, employee-centred business pushing boundaries in the space industry.
- Flexible hours and hybrid working, enabling you to create your ideal work life balance.
- 36 days paid holiday per annum.
- 6% employer pension contribution.
- Company Sick Pay and Long-Term Sickness cover.
- Life Insurance.
- As a member of the Bright Ascension team you would have a stake in the business through our Employee Benefit Trust which owns 13% of our business.
- Enhanced maternity, paternity and adoption pay.
- Opportunities for international travel for exhibitions and trade shows.
- Investment in you and your skill development and the opportunity to attend relevant events and conferences to aid career / skill development.
- Company events and regular activities for social engagement and team building.
- An open, supportive, inclusive environment where you can explore your ideas and make a big difference to the product and business.
ABOUT BRIGHT ASCENSION
We are a fast growing, innovative company changing the way that software is developed in the space industry. With customers across the world, ranging from universities and space agencies, to commercial organisations and start-ups, our core technologies enable our customers to develop and operate space-based systems and services faster, cheaper and more reliably. Innovation is at the heart of what we do and it is our team which drives that innovation; this is reflected in our commitment to employee ownership, which gives all of us a voice, and a stake, in our current and future success. With offices in Dundee, Edinburgh and Bristol we now have over 30 members of staff and plans to expend to a team of around 50 over the next 12 months. We are at a very exciting time in our ambitious growth plans and have fantastic opportunities for talented individuals to join our team.
Job specification: Frontend Developer
All applicants should have the right to work in the UK.
How to apply
Apply at the link below.