We are looking for an experienced and motivated Spacecraft Software Engineer to join our team developing spacecraft flight software to support a wide range of customer missions as well as assisting in the development of our world-leading flight software products.
As a member of our mission software team you would be responsible for contributing to spacecraft flight software development projects, both for cutting-edge research projects and flight missions. The primary implementation language is C, although a working knowledge of Python and/or Java would be useful as these languages are also used in our tooling.
We see this role as being full time, although this is negotiable. Ideally we would like this role to be based in either Dundee or Edinburgh, to allow for regular interaction with the teams responsible for product management, business development, sales and marketing.
Essential technical skills
We see experience with the following as essential to the job:
- strong C skills, ideally demonstrated in a commercial environment;
- development and debugging of quality code and adherence to best coding practices;
- ability to work from a wide range of input documents and definitions of varying levels of formality such as hardware datasheets, interface control documents, protocol definitions, design specifications etc;
- experience in planning and executing all stages of software engineering, from design to documentation according to a specified development process;
- strong understanding of concurrent programming constructs; and
- ability to work in a Linux environment using a range of standard development tools.
We’re looking for a dynamic and motivated engineer to join our team. We’re especially looking for someone who:
- enjoys problems solving and balancing the pragmatic and practical with the abstract and elegant;
- works well both independently and in a team as part of a fast-paced technical environment;
- is diligent, creative, and attentive to details;
- possess strong verbal and written communication skills, both for internal and external, customer facing, interactions;
- wants to make a strong contribution to the business, financially but also in terms of team culture and values. You enjoy making an impact and shaping how businesses operates; and
- is consistently curious, is interested in learning new skills and is open to new ideas and ways of working.
Desirable technical skills
We think that the following skills would definitely be valuable in this role:
- knowledge of, or exposure to, space systems in either a commercial or academic context;
- experience in performing requirements analysis and elicitation based on formal and informal inputs;
- experience of model-based and/or component-based software engineering;
- experience with a range of development environments, frameworks or libraries;
- use of version control systems such as mercurial, git and SVN;
- experience developing embedded/real time software;
- agile software development;
- software product/quality assurance, especially ECSS-E-ST-40C, DO-178B/C;
- software development and test automation, including continuous integration.
WHAT WE CAN OFFER YOU
- A competitive salary in the range of £30k-£45k depending on experience, with regular reviews.
- A fantastic opportunity to join a growing, innovative, employee-centred business pushing boundaries in the space industry.
- Flexible working based around core hours and options to work remotely or from one of our offices, enabling you to create your ideal work life balance.
- 36 days paid holiday per annum.
- 6% employer pension contribution.
- Company Sick Pay and Long-Term Sickness cover.
- Life Insurance.
- As a member of the Bright Ascension team you would have a stake in the business through our Employee Benefit Trust which owns 16% of our business.
- Opportunities for international travel (post-COVID) for exhibitions and trade shows.
- Investment in you and your skill development and the opportunity to attend relevant events and conferences to aid career / skill development.
- Company events and regular activities for social engagement and team building.
- An open, supportive, inclusive environment where you can explore your ideas and make a big difference to the product and business.
ABOUT BRIGHT ASCENSION
We are a fast growing, innovative company changing the way that software is developed in the space industry. With customers across the world, ranging from universities and space agencies, to commercial organisations and start-ups, our core technologies enable our customers to develop and operate space-based systems and services faster, cheaper and more reliably. Innovation is at the heart of what we do and it is our team which drives that innovation; this is reflected in our commitment to employee ownership, which gives all of us a voice, and a stake, in our current and future success. With offices in Dundee, Edinburgh and Bristol we now have over 30 members of staff and plans to expend to a team of around 50 over the next 12 months. We are at a very exciting time in our ambitious growth plans and have fantastic opportunities for talented individuals to join our team.
Job specification: Flight Software Engineer
All applicants should have the right to work in the UK.
How to apply
Apply at the link below.