FreeAgent aims to remove the stress and pain of dealing with business finances. From the very beginning in 2007, our aim was to create a product that would make an impact and improve the lives of micro-businesses in the UK. Now FreeAgent is one of the UK's most popular online accounting software providers, with over 125,000 customers.
Not to blow our own horn … but Accounting WEB even named FreeAgent the top bookkeeping product of 2020 and 2021. And in 2021 our mobile app was also voted ‘Client App of the Year’ by ICB LUCA. The list could go on!
It’s not just our customers who love us, our employees do too ⭐
Find out more on Glassdoor.
We believe in the power of a collaborative, high-performing, and diverse team. We’d love you to join us on our journey.
About This Role 👷
FreeAgent is a Ruby on Rails application (Rails 6.1, Ruby 3) that has been serving happy customers since 2007. Over the years we have seen a number of approaches to our front-end code, from the early days of Prototype.js, through to jQuery, React and Stimulus.
We believe the Rails front-end ecosystem has entered a new era of maturity and we want the Front-end Architecture team to help us consolidate our front-end tech around modern Rails standards – ES6, Webpacker, Stimulus and Hotwire – while working closely with our Design System team on our home-grown design system, FreeStyle.
You'll help us remove jQuery while crafting our views and controllers to use Turbo, beautifully minimal Stimulus controllers (and removing JS where possible!), semantic markup and helping to integrate new components from FreeStyle.
This is a rewarding role made for Rails craftspeople.
Read more about how we work on our engineering blog.
Some other things we look for in candidates:
- Experience of building SaaS apps with Ruby on Rails
- Attention to detail. We value people who believe a job worth doing is worth doing right
- Pragmatism; being committed to getting things done while understanding tradeoffs
- A high level of self-motivation and self-awareness
- A commitment to ongoing self-development, improving both technical and soft skills. If you have the commitment, we can provide opportunities for you.
- Strong communication skills. Being able to write well and articulate your thoughts are great skills to have in any business.
Annual salary £55,000 - £90,000 per annum depending on experience. If you're a more senior practitioner in this area we'd still love to hear from you, as there may be some flexibility on salary for the right candidate.
We pride ourselves on creating a fantastic place to work, including (but not limited to!) the following:
- 33 days holiday (and an extra day for each year you're with us)
- Flexible/hybrid working
- Private health care
- Life assurance
- 5% matched pension contributions
- Buy-as-you-earn share schemes
- Sabbatical leave (unpaid)
- Cycle to work scheme
- Wellness webinars
- Focused learning time and learning budgets
- Volunteering day
Our work life 👩🏽💻
We believe in a strong work-life balance, we don’t work long hours, and we have a fabulous Edinburgh HQ expertly designed for collaboration including high-quality A/V equipment to provide a great experience for distributed teams.
At FreeAgent, we support each other and operate a no-blame culture. Our mindset is: work hard, be nice to people, and the rest will sort itself out!
This role can be based remotely within the UK or from our Edinburgh office (or a combination of both). Working from home is second nature to us as we have been championing remote working for 14 years.
FreeAgent is an equal opportunity employer. We strongly encourage applications from people with varied backgrounds and perspectives. All applicants are considered for employment without attention to ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, family or parental status.
How to apply
We hire smart, talented people (like you!) to make FreeAgent even better.
Our application process is simple: upload your CV at the link below and answer a few questions about why you want to work with us. Our selection process includes:
- A phone call with a member of our Talent Team
- An 'at-home' programming exercise
- Two or three video interviews
- We work hard to make the process straightforward, transparent, and enjoyable.
Want to find out more? Email any queries to email@example.com